The Olive Branch Sways (6-25-2022)

Grass wakes up screaming. She stops, realizing that someone else is in the room with her. She can't breathe... She is in danger... Then, she remembers that Violet had starting living with her. Her heart warms, as her body relaxes and she exhales. She looks to Violet, noticing that her wings have now fully grown in. She wonders if they still hurt her.


Violet stirs a bit awake a she opens her eyes too look at Grass as she smiles

"Morning Grass. Are you doing ok?"

"Yeah, sorry did I wake you?" 

"Hm? No no no your fine, it was about time I woke up anyway. Don't worry about it"

As if on cue, someone knocks at the door to their apartment.

Violet trys to stand and collect herself

"I can get it"

"No, no let me..."

Grass quickly stands and runs for the door. She is much faster, given Violet's current state, and having just awakened.

Violet sighs as she start making her way in the direction of the door slowly

"Fine, you can get it"

Violet giggles

Grass braces herself before opening the door. She knows all too well who this will be.

She opens the door and is met with the friendly smile of a woman with grey skin and long, red hair. She is wearing green slacks and a green tank top. Her red shoes match her hair. She is also wearing a purple bracelet on her left wrist.

"Hiya, Olive!", she says jovially.

Grass steps outside and shuts the door behind her 

"Gen, seriously... You need to stop calling me that. We aren't kids anymore."

"Oh, come on, party-pooper! You just got back from your assignment, let's hang out! You need to live a little... Life isn't all work, you know!"

"Yeah... the thing is..."

Violet trys listening in as she trys sitting by a near by chair

"What, you too important for your best friend now that you are a Purple?"

"It's... complicated. Things have change, Gen..."

"Exactly, and that's why we need to hang out! I want you to tell me everything! You finally got the promotion you always wanted!"

"It's not like that..."

"What are you talking about, Olive?"

Grass folds her arms, getting uncomfortable.

Violet stands as she opens the door slowly to peak at the conversation, as she waves

Gen freezes, noticing the movement.

"Uhh, hello?", she looks to Grass. "Olive, who is that in your apartment?"

"Oh! um hi, name is Violet. It's nice to meet you."

She turns to Grass

"Grass? Everything ok?"

Gen scoffs.

"Wow, Olive, I know you wanted the Purple position, but I never expected you to sleep with a Lavender to get there... I thought you were better than that."

"Now I get why you were so nervous... Didn't think your old pal Gen would figure it out, but you got caught, eh?"

Grass says nothing to either of them.

She holds her arms tight 

"I'm sorry but its not like that, she earned her way to the Purple position, not sleeping with me to get it. She deserves every right to have the position she has right now."

Violet gives Gen a angry stare

Gen cackles. "Right, Olive here just happens to have a Lavender in her apartment, after years of being too terrified of people to share her emotions amongst even the lowest of Greens!"

Grass speaks up meekly, "I told you to stop calling me that."

"Olive is good at business... That's always been her strong suit, but when it comes to matters of the heart, she's hopeless."

"Please stop calling her that. Now. She is the strongest I have ever known, so you shut your trap"

Gen gives Violet a condescending look. "Look, I'm going to respect you because you are a Lavender and all, but I've known Olive for a long time. I'm not trying to pick on her, I just know her well enough to be comfortable speaking my mind. She has always respected that. The reason she is being so shy and meek now is because she was caught with her hand in the cookie jar. No offense, lady Lavender, but you don't know this Naomi." 

"Not like I do."

"I understand but can't you see you are making her uncomfortable by calling her that? Her name is Grass, and that is what she will be called"

Gen looks to Grass.

"Why are you doing this?"

Violet trys to comfort Grass by giving them a side hug as she looks to her

"You can go inside if you want"

Violet looks to Grass with a look of reassurance

"Olive, what are you doing... I'm your best friend."

Grass turns and goes back into the apartment, without saying a word.

Violet make sure she gets inside safe before turning to Gen with a unsure look

"I don't understand why she's acting this way. She was fine before she left on her last assignment..."

"I don't know what is with her quietness, but whatever she decides to do is up to her, and I will respect it"

"Are you trying to pull something? Are you trying to manipulate my best friend, teasing her with her dream job at the cost of her freedom? I know you are a Lavender, little missy, but I will die to protect my Olive... Know that." 

"What?! I would never! I am giving GRASS the freedom she never had!"

"Right... and that's why you made her your Powderpuff."

"She chose to be my Powerpuff, I did not force her one bit in doing so"

"I don't believe you... Well, if 'Grass' is allowed to speak to others, let her know that I'm going fishing today and could use a buddy."

"Believe what you want but I speak truth, but I'll let her know."

"But... I still do not like this tone and image you set of me, but I can do nothing about it. But I do hope you can learn to treat me with some respect in the future"

"I will when you earn it. Titles don't earn instant respect in my book. I am a true GREEN, through and through." She turns and leaves.

Violet sighs as she turns and enters back into as she looks for Grass

The apartment seems empty. No movement, no sound.

"Grass? Are you here? Im sorry if they or maybe I upset you? Please tell me whats wrong..."

Muffled noises come from the bathroom. 

Violet walks over and knocks on the door

"Grass? Can I come in?"

After a brief silence, Grass comes to the door and opens it slowly.

"Hey... You ok? You need a hug? Or someone to talk to?"

"I... I didn't... I never did anything with you for a Purple position."

"No you did not. You earned it though and though... All of you and me... this love... was never used as a chip on the table of growing positions"

She rushes at you, embracing you but also being careful not to touch your newly-formed wings. 

"I'm sorry... I just didn't have time to explain everything... Gen really was an old friend of mine..."

"Olive was a name that we came up with together... When I was little. I wanted to change my name when I became a Purple one day. I wanted something to remind me of my roots, but I didn't want to be considered an outsider amongst my peers... Gen helped me come up with the name Olive, because olives can be green, yellow, black or purple... It was a perfect fit... but I outgrew it. Gen never let those memories go... I suppose it is because..." 

"Nevermind. The past is the past."

"I just wanted you to know."

"Hey.. don't worry. It's ok. If you need anything im here... I just don't like seeing you uncomfortable like that... or seeing you upset. But you going to be ok?"

"Let's just say that..." She takes a shakey deep breath. "Gen and I tried being...together...and it didn't work. It made everything complicated."

"Like I said, the past is the past. She will need to let go... It was never like how it is with you and I now."

Grass buries her head in your shoulder.

Violet rubs Grass's head as she trys to comfort her

"I see... well it's going to be ok. Like you said the past is the past... Is there anything you need or that I can get you?"

She shakes her head without lifting it.

She holds you tight, unable to let go.

Violet just holds her, comforting her the best she can

"It's going to be ok..."

"Why would she assume I would do something like that?", her voice is muffled by your shirt. "Do you think it's just jealousy?"

She lifts her head. Her eyes are bloodshot and filled with tears. She sniffs a bit.

"I don't know... it's possible… but don't listen to their words for hurtfulness, It will only bring you down... and I don't want that... because I love you..."

She doesn't say that she loves you in return, but instead goes in for a kiss.

Violet kisses her in return, holding Grass in the hug

As they separate, she looks down, blushing. "How did someone so wonderful end up with me?" Grass giggles a bit.

Violet giggles as well

"Because you are just as wonderful as well."

She considers a rebuttal, but decides to accept it this time. "Let's do something to get all of this off our minds... I'm curious to see how you do with a fresh pair of wings... Want to?"

"Hm? Of course! Sounds just wonderful!"

Grass hugs Violet tightly. Giddy as can be, the pain from earlier having been washed away by Violet's love and kindness. She clasps your hand and leads you out the door. As you head to the elevator, you notice someone looking around cautiously. They are holding the hand of a little girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare of Reality and the Dream (1/15/23)

A Fallen Angel (4/11/23)

A Deadly Prophecy (12/31/2022)